T. 0843 289 1054

Reducing Multiplication Errors In Manufacturing With Content Management

Tipac > Resources  > Blogs  > Reducing Multiplication Errors In Manufacturing With Content Management

Reducing Multiplication Errors In Manufacturing With Content Management

If you work in the manufacturing sector, you already know just how much paper is produced and stored on a day to day basis. If you don’t, it is almost impossible to imagine. But with all this paperwork comes one, very simple problem. Multiplication errors. No, we don’t mean the mathematical kind – we mean the kind that results in your dispatch operator holding 5 copies of a dispatch notice and order form, all of which say different things. Duplication of paperwork is a huge issue within the manufacturing sector, and today we want to let you know that you don’t have to put up with it. There is a simple solution out there, and it’s called content management.

Central Access

The key to preventing duplication of paperwork in content management is the centralised repository. Automated processes will draw in relevant documentation form all areas of the business before sorting, tagging and filing it into a simple, easy to navigate system on a central database. This database becomes your document repository, so any time a user needs to access a document, they access it from here. This central document can be referenced and present in multiple locations, but there is still only a single copy, so when it is updated on one place, that update is applied to all. The software allows users to access every file using a link, so that every user works from the same document and the document cannot be duplicated, therefore reducing errors. This central access also means any employee from any location can access that file if they need it, simply by logging into the central server from any device, greatly improving communication and collaboration.

Reduced Workload 

Of course, paperwork isn’t the only thing that gets duplicated in the paperwork process. Throughout the manufacturing process, data is duplicated by hand, entered into multiple systems and edited time and time again by the people using it. But this data entry is time intensive, and because the tasks are performed by people, they are naturally more prone to errors. By reducing the amount of paperwork and data entry required by employees, for example with entering and printing picking notes, paper expenses submissions and contract access, manufacturing businesses can not only see an improved, streamlined process, but also a significant reduction in employee workload. This in turn frees up employee time for more valuable tasks and increases cost efficiency within the business.

Removing Errors

As technology advances, human error becomes more and more visible every day. Human error is responsible for more than 80% of process deviations in manufacturing environments, and a large amount of those errors boil down to paperwork problems. Errors in data entry, for example in expenses processing, duplicate forms in picking or shipping notes and incorrect records all lead to errors within the manufacturing process, and some of these errors could result in serious problems and cost thousands of pounds to put right. But by automating the paperwork process, manufacturing firms could see a significant decrease in the number of transposition and paperwork inconsistencies. The key to successful automation is ensuring that 95% of processes are automated, with accompanying workflows. This leaves the 5% of processes that do need human interaction, which can be programed to require notification and correction, resulting in a flawless and efficient system. This is turn means that manufacturers who invest in a content management solution will see a lower number of errors and higher efficiency within the manufacturing process.

In an industry that is so dependent on paperwork being filed and stored correctly, in the right places and being available to those who need them. Document automation and management solutions allow manufacturing companies to address errors and weaknesses within their processes, helping them to stay competitive in an ever-evolving marketplace. For more information about how Tipac can help you achieve this, get in touch with the team and book your free demo today.